Gas problems, gastritis etc can be a big pain as it can literally put your life into trouble when not tackled quickly. Similarly the problem that arises from Trapped Gas is no less.
I am writing this article to cite an experience I had in my life at the beginning of the year 2022. After the New Year’s party, my 10 year old daughter started complaining about a severe backache and she started mentioning that the pain was moving around and was not staying at one place. Mistaking it for a usual muscle cramp, we started applying pain relieving creams, however it turned out to be of no use.
That is when I came across the case of Trapped Gas condition wherein a gas bubble gets stuck in your intestines and can cause a cramping pain in your upper back area and in your abdomen region.
Causes of Trapped Gas
The prime causes for the Trapped Gas problem are:
The primary reason behind the Trapped Gas issue is excess swallowing of air. And this can occur due to several factors such as drinking carbonated beverages like beer, soda etc, sipping your drink using a straw, Chewing gum, and excess intake of fiber supplements etc.
Gas Release during Digestion Process
During the digestion process, the bacteria in your colon area releases gas while trying to break down undigested carbs like lentils, fiber, certain kinds of starches and sugar. This also causes bloating and trapped gas condition.
People suffering from serious digestion issues can also face the trapped gas problem that can cause back pain and discomfort.
Home remedies to relieve you from Trapped Gas problems
Following are some home remedies you can adopt to get quick relief from the Trapped Gas problems:
1. Postures and Yoga Mudras
In order to release the trapped gas from your body, you can practice the following yoga posture:
- Lie on your back, stretch and extend your feet together.
- Bend both your knees and surround them with your arms together
- Further bring your knees up to your chest
- Simultaneously bring your head to your knees at the same time. If you are not able to bring your head, it is fine to keep it flat.
- Hold the pose for about 15 to 20 seconds
2. Apana Mudra
Apana Mudra is a type of Yoga Mudra that deals with elimination of wastes from the body, excretion, cleansing of the urinary bladder etc.
Apana Mudra- Procedure
- Sit in any comfortable position with your spine erect
- Place your hands on your thighs with your palm facing upwards
- Close your eyes and take few deep breaths. Remain calm and be conscious of your breathing.
- Bring your ring and middle finger together to touch your thumb. Meanwhile keep the index finger and little finger pointed out straight. This gesture should be followed on the both the hands simultaneously.
- Remain in this posture for 10-20 minutes
- Gradually visualize the flow of energy in your body and get your mind to focus on the same.
The benefits of the Apana Mudra with respect to the abdomen and intestinal region are:
- It relieves you from trapped gas problems
- Provides relief from constipation
- Eliminates back pain problem
- Detoxifies your body
3. Liquid Intake
You can also get relief from the trapped gas issue by consuming warm water or herbal tea. Homemade herbal tea is the best choices in this case especially the ones made using peppermint, ginger or chamomile.
4. Herbal Treatment
Crush herbal spices such as Anise, Cardamom, Coriander, Pepper, Fennel and Turmeric, add it to warm water and drink for quick relief.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
A traditional cure for gas release is to dissolve 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and drink it.
Although anecdotal evidence shows that this is useful, there is no scientific data to back this up. This approach, on the other hand, has no harmful side effects.
Dissolve 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of lukewarm water and drink it. Though there is no any scientific evidence to back this theory, no harmful side effects have been discovered so far.
How to prevent trapped gas
By watching what you eat and how you eat, you can reduce your chances of obtaining a painful trapped gas bubble.
To highlight potential issues, try eliminating foods one at a time.
Here are some simple pointers to get you started:
- Keep yourself hydrated.
- Carbonated beverages should be avoided.
- Liquids should be consumed at normal temperature, not excessively hot or cold.
- Avoid foods that are known to induce bloating.
- Artificial sweeteners should be avoided.
- Slow down and chew your food thoroughly.
- Chewing gum is not a good idea.
- Tobacco should not be smoked or chewed.
- Have your dentist check your dentures to see if they allow in too much air while you eat.
- Increase the amount of exercise you do.
Trapped Gas condition is not a major health issue, however it can create serious discomfort if not tackled or handled properly. Keep a close watch on your diet and find out if you are allergic to any food type. This will help you maintain a balanced diet and will also prevent the occurrence of gas related issues. Also you can try the home remedies and find out which one suits you the best during such health issues.